Situated in the heart of Southern Ontario, between the waterfront of Lake Ontario and the serene beauty of the Niagara Escarpment, the City of Burlington’s 175,000 residents make up one of Ontario’s fastest growing communities. The Burlington Performing Arts Centre provides an excellent venue to showcase the world’s top talent and provides a gathering place for the community of Burlington and surrounding areas. The Centre also hosts conferences and community events, and aims to be the cultural hub of Burlington and surrounding communities.
Reporting directly to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Operations is a member of the Centre’s senior management team and is responsible for rentals, building and production management of The Burlingtonton Performing Arts Centre’s facilities and all of its activities. The position supports the Executive Director with overall management of the general operations of the Centre, including planning, budgeting, monitoring and scheduling of all rental business, facility operations and maintenance activities as well as leadership and oversight of the production and front of house teams, ensuring the delivery of smooth operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities (Deliverables)
- Manages all aspects of facility operations, including capital upgrades and purchases, renovation, maintenance and repairs, custodial scheduling and building security.
- Responsible for the leadership of the Front of House and Technical Services departments
- Responsible for the development, negotiation and management of all rental contracts
- Working closely with the Technical Supervisor, plan and implement the technical operations of the Centre, including faciliity rentals, Season programming, production operations and equipment maintenance
- Creates, oversees and implements budgets for rental activity, facility maintenance, capital purchases and technical production, ensuring annual targets are met and overall fiscal responsibility
- Develop and maintain policy and procedure manuals related to all health and safety, technical and production matters related to the Centre
- Supervise staff, including employee selection, scheduling, development, coaching, discipline and termination
- Ensure adherence to policies and procedures as well as compliance with all regulations, other relevant legislation, and internal controls
- Negotiate with external service providers and suppliers as required
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with rental clients, artists, managers and the Centre’s staff to deliver smooth and superior venue operations
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, manage and develop operational and capital budgets and forecasts to support strategic needs and operational requirements
- Responsible for workplace health and safety including performing inspections, conducting safety information sessions and ensuring safe practices by all staff, investigating incidents
- Prepare written reports and financial statements, as well as rental contracts and estimates
- Liase with City of Burlington staff, public officials, granting bodies and community organizations
- Acts as the Executive Director’s ‘second-in-command’, exercising loyalty and exellent judgment at all times, assuming temporary responsibility of entire operations during Executive Director’s absence
The Burlington Performing Arts Centre is looking for a dynamic professional with event and facility management
experience, as well as extensive experience in the operations of a performing arts centre. Must have strong
financial skills, including budgeting and forecasting; good working knowledge of facility equipment, maintenance
and technical production and strong supervisory and leadership skills.
Hours of Work:
Standard hours of work will be 40 hours per week. There will be requirements to work flex time with evening and
weekend work, or as required by the Executive Director.
The successful candidate will have an undergraduate degree in theatre, production or events management.
Minimum seven (7) years experience in the operation of a professional performing arts centre. Technical theatre
and production experience is preferred. Motivated individual with proven initiative and excellent time and project
management skills. A strong team-player with well-developed coaching, supervisory and senior leadership skills.
Sound knowledge of facility equipment and maintance as well as health and safety best practices. Working
knowledge of sound, lighting and rigging practices would be considered an asset. Loyalty, integrity and a
commitment to client satisfaction required.
Please submit covering letter and curriculum vitae as follows:
Electronically: firstname.lastname@example.org (reference Director of Operations in the subject line)
Mail: 440 Locust Street, Burlington, ON L7S 1T7
No phone calls please
Closing Date: Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, December 15th, 2017. Only candidates that
are selected for an interview will be contacted.