About the Flato Markham Theatre
City of Markham’s Flato Markham Theatre is one of Canada’s premier theatre houses serving the GTA and Markham residents. With over 300 live performances each year, the multi-disciplinary theatre presents performances showcasing the vast cultural diversity of the community. The Discovery Program is an inclusive community engagement initiative offered by Flato Markham Theatre that provides interactive arts programming and outreach including the Every Child, Every Year Program, outreach initiatives and specialized Performing Arts Camps.
About the Discovery Performing Arts Camps
The Discovery Performing Arts Camps, offered for more than 20 years in Markham, is a high-demand, inclusive program designed to engage youth as they develop life skills such as team work, confidence and self-expression through the performing arts. There are currently 6 different programs running in three locations (including the Flato Markham Theatre). These programs include; Kinder Camp (ages 4-5), Junior Stars (ages 6-8), Drama Camp (ages 9-11), Actor’s Workshop (ages 12-16) and Performing Arts Camps (PAC) (ages 6-9 and 10-13) at Cornerstone Centre. In 2018, more than 1,100 children were engaged through our camp programs with a waitlist of over 400.
We are looking for an Assistant Musical Director/Assistant Director who is creative, organized and adaptable to support the Director & Musical Director with the musical and theatrical elements of the theatre’s Discovery Performing Arts Camps at Cornerstone Centre.
Under the direction of the Artistic Director, Musical Director and PAC Director, the Assistant Musical Director/Assistant Director (AMD/AD) will oversee the musical program requirements during the planning and program delivery for the eight week Summer Camp program which culminates with a fully staged musical theatre production on stage at the Flato Markham Theatre at the end of each 2-week session. Through strategic programming choices, the AMD/AD will enable children and/or youth to develop skills, make friends, socialize and build self-esteem. In addition, as the MD, will be accountable for day-to-day musical requirements for the PAC programming, operations while ensuring camp activities are safe, inclusive and high quality.
The AMD/AD will assist the Artistic Director, Musical Director and PAC Director to oversee program delivery to 60 campers per session with approximately 10 staff including Head Program Instructors, Program Supervisors, Counsellors and Volunteers in regards to musical and theatrical components of the PAC programming.
Detailed Job Description:
In conjunction with the overall program objectives outlined by the Discovery Program Coordinator and Camp Artistic Director, and under the direction of the PAC Director & Musical Director, the Assistant Musical Director/Assistant Director will:
- Assist to implement a detailed program outlined by the Musical Director as it relates to all the musical programming of camp outcomes for campers and staff for Performing Arts Camp (PAC).
- Assist with directing campers to produce a musical play at the end of the 2-week session
- Responsible for managing musical materials for Performing Arts Camp during prep hours and other related tasks as required.
- Teach and orchestrate musical elements of the Musical Play to campers ages 6-14 during each 2-week session.
- Provide leadership to help create, rehearse and present camp performance on the Friday afternoon that includes all camp participants at the Flato Markham Theatre.
- Prioritize child well-being, safety and protection in all situations, programs and activities
- Serves as a liaison with parents, reinforcing City of Markham customer service, diversity and inclusion (special needs, ethno-cultural, English as second language, socio-economic).
- With the AD and PAC Director, plan and schedule camp staff resources, routines, schedules and procedures to ensure successful program delivery as it relates to the musical and theatrical components of Camp
- Foster positive learning environment for all campers and staff
- Provide daily direction and support for all counsellors, head program instructors and other camp staff
- Teach daily performing arts related skills to campers
- Identify and request camp supplies in accordance to city policies and budget
- Reports all incidents promptly and thoroughly to the Theatre using incident/accident report forms and records, including registration information, permission and waiver forms and timesheets
- Provide daily direction and support to instructors, supervisors and counsellors as required
- Serves as a liaison with parents, reinforcing City of Markham customer service, diversity and inclusion (special needs, ethno-cultural, English as second language, socio-economic)
- Provide feedback and future recommendations to the Theatre upon conclusion of the camp
- Post secondary education in Performing arts, with a focus on Music, arts education and/or related field and/or Experience as a professional in the performing arts as a Musical Director of musical performer or performing arts educator/instructor (Music, theatre)
- Licenses/Certifications: Current Standard First Aid with CPR ‘C’ required; HIGH FIVE Healthy Child Development is required;
- Bachelor of Education and Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years experience in an Assistant Musical Director/Director in a leadership role and has demonstrated successful execution of similar programs for a large group of children of various ages.
- Experience delivering programs in musical theatre for children.
- Professional experience in youth arts education, musical theatre production and experience in a camp environment.
- Proficient in piano playing and sight-reading music.
- Ability to plan and execute the musical components of a musical theatre production from beginning stages to show day, including, but not limited to teaching musical content to children, adapting musical arrangements as needed, providing musical accompaniment on piano/keyboard during rehearsals.
- Able to lead vocal warm ups, transpose music and cast roles
- Enjoy working with children of all ages and be passionate about connecting, encouraging and inspiring camp staff to develop their skills as future arts educators.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and sensitivity to interact with a diversity of parents and staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in program planning skills and delivery.
- All offers of employment for this position will be conditional on satisfactory reference checks and vulnerable sector checks.
Summer Camp: July 2 – August 23, 2019 (Prep starts late May)
On-site Staff Training: week of June 24
An ideal candidate will have experience working with youth in an arts education environment as well as camp experience. They will have the skills to supervise and mentor young employees and volunteers. They will be able to provide detailed and meaningful performing arts-based programming.
We thank all applicants who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Apply by submitting a resume and cover letter by April 22, 2019 at 5:00pm to Monica Pain, Discovery Program Coordinator at email@example.com
Please put the subject of your email: Application for Asst. Musical Director – PAC Discovery Camps