The Flato Markham Theatre is looking for a Kinder Camp Director who is a caring, organized and an enthusiastic leader to facilitate program delivery of the Kinder Camp March Break and Summer Program. Kinder Camp is an introduction to performing arts skills for 4-5 year olds. Campers develop skills through movement exercises, creative play and games and work towards bringing a story-book to life in a short play with song & dance to share in front of family and friends at the end of each weekly session.
Under the direction of the Discovery Program Coordinator and the Camp Artistic Director, the Kinder Camp Director will oversee program planning and program delivery for the one-week March Break and eight week Summer Camp programs. Through strategic leadership and programming, the Kinder Camp Director will enable children to develop skills, make friends, socialize and build self-esteem. Accountable for day-to-day operations of Kinder Camp, ensuring camp activities are safe, inclusive and high quality. The Kinder Camp Director will manage a group of 30 campers and directly supervise and coach approximately 5-7 staff including Program Supervisors, Counsellors and Volunteers.
Detailed Job Description:
- Assists with preparing the camp program through training staff, scheduling activities and reviewing and approving all activity plans prior to implementation.
- Provides a detailed program outline including preparation outlines/timeline, details of the program, and learning outcomes for campers and staff for Kinder Theatre Camp.
- Implements the program and schedules for Kinder Camp with the support of supervisors, counsellors and volunteers, including the creation of a 30-minute performance piece with all program participants to be performed for family and friends on the last day of camp.
- Coaches and provides leadership to a group of 5-7 Camp Supervisors & Counsellors, ensuring the program goals are met, fostering a positive learning environment where people feel included as members of a team and are motivated to work towards common goals
- Ensures programming is adapted to participant needs with regards to safety, hygiene, weather, breaks etc.
- Prioritizes child well-being, safety and protection throughout the program.
- Serves as a liaison with parents, reinforcing City of Markham customer service, diversity and inclusion (special needs, ethno-cultural, English as second language, socio-economic).
- Provides regular updates and feedback to the Artistic Director/Discovery Coordinator.
- Responsible for attendance records as well as participates sign in and sign out procedures.
- Demonstrates the confidence and ability to make decisions independently of peers and in the best interests of the campers. Resolves problems and conflicts effectively as they arise.
- Reports all incidents promptly and thoroughly to the Discovery Coordinator using incident report forms and processes. Maintains camp documentation, including registration information, permission and waiver forms, attendance records, incident reports and timesheets.
- Responsible for effective and efficient communication to all stakeholders including parents, campers, staff and special guests as well as managing phone and e-mail inquiries in a timely manner.
- Identify and request camp supplies in accordance to city policies and budget.
- Provide feedback and future recommendations to the Theatre upon conclusion of the camp
March Break: Week of March 11-15 2019 (Prep starts mid-February)
Summer Camp: July 2 – August 23, 2019 (Prep starts early June)
Education: Post secondary education in Performing arts, arts education and/or related field and/or Experience as a professional in the performing arts as a Triple Threat Performer and/or performing arts educator/instructor (dance, music, theatre)
Licenses/Certifications: Current Standard First Aid with CPR ‘C’ required; HIGH FIVE Healthy Child Development is required;
Bachelor of Education and Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) is an asset
Experience: Minimum 3 years experience in a Director/Leadership role and has demonstrated successful execution of similar programs for young children.
Experience designing and delivering programs in musical theatre for young children.
Professional experience in youth arts education, musical theatre production and experience in a camp environment.
Ability to plan and execute a short musical show from beginning stages to performance day for young children.
Enjoy working with young children and be passionate about connecting, encouraging and inspiring camp staff to develop their skills as future arts educators.
Strong verbal/written communication skills.
Excellent customer service skills and sensitivity to interact with a diversity of parents and staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
Demonstrates creativity and innovation in program planning skills and delivery.
All offers of employment for this position will be conditional on satisfactory reference checks and vulnerable sector checks.
Additional Info: An ideal candidate will have experience working with youth in an arts education environment as well as camp experience. They will have the skills to supervise and mentor young employees and volunteers. They will be able to provide detailed and meaningful performing arts-based programming.
We thank all applicants who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
About Flato Markham Theatre
City of Markham’s Flato Markham Theatre is one of Canada’s premier theatre houses serving the GTA and Markham residents. With over 300 live performances each year, the multi-disciplinary theatre presents performances showcasing the vast cultural diversity of the community and the leading cultural destination in York Region. Discovery is the dynamic umbrella delivering inspiring and inclusive education and outreach programs, including the Every Child, Every Year Program, outreach initiatives, and specialized Performing Arts Camps for Youth.
About the Discovery Performing Arts Camps
The Discovery Performing Arts Camps, offered for more than 20 years in Markham, is a high-demand, inclusive program designed to engage youth as they develop life skills such as team work, confidence and self-expression through the performing arts. There are currently 6 different programs running in three locations (including the Flato Markham Theatre). These programs include; Kinder Camp (ages 4-5), Junior Stars (ages 6-8), Drama Camp (ages 9-11), Actor’s Workshop (ages 12-16), as well as theme-based Performing Arts Camps (ages 6-9 and 10-13). In 2018, more than 1,100 children were engaged through our camp programs with a waitlist of over 400.
Apply by December 28th, 2018 at 5:00pm to Monica Pain, Discovery Program Coordinator at email@example.com
Please put the subject of your email: Application for Kinder Camp Director – Discovery Camps